This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1954 / 53°11'43"N
Longitude: -4.0848 / 4°5'5"W
OS Eastings: 260825
OS Northings: 368509
OS Grid: SH608685
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.2Q77
Mapcode Global: WH548.7Y46
Entry Name: Dinas Farmhouse
Listing Date: 24 May 2000
Last Amended: 2 December 2003
Source ID: 23386
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in roadside position on minor road running roughly parallel with the Afon Ogwen to north-east of Tregarth; low rubblestone wall with stone-on-edge coping to front and separating the farmhouse
Community: Llandygai (Llandygái)
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built c1850 as part of Edward Douglas-Pennant's considerable efforts to improve the Penrhyn Estate, to which he had succeeded in 1840. Colonel Douglas-Pennant first gave notice to his tenants of his intention to improve through his agent, James Wyatt's address "To the Farming Tenantry of the Penrhyn Estate", printed in 1843.
Small 2-storey farmhouse in simple 'vernacular revival' style presenting L-plan to road. Uncoursed rubblestone to sides and rear with regularly coursed and dressed blocks and slate-stone voussoirs to front; large slate roof with deep overhanging verges and carved purlin ends. Front has gable projecting to left with 3-light window on ground floor and 2-light window directly above, both with slightly cambered heads and slate cills; similar 3-light window to main range on right of lean-to timber porch in angle with gable. Prominent stepped and rendered integral end stack to right of main range and similar ridge stack towards back of gabled range, which is hipped to rear, with another stack behind. Left return of gabled range has 2-light window on each floor towards back.
Interior not inspected at time of Survey.
Included as an essentially unaltered mid-C19 small estate farmhouse of the simple 'vernacular revival' style particularly favoured by the Penrhyn Estate in the decades immediately after c1850; forms a good group with contemporary farmbuildings adjoining.
Other nearby listed buildings