This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1759 / 53°10'33"N
Longitude: -4.0616 / 4°3'41"W
OS Eastings: 262308
OS Northings: 366296
OS Grid: SH623662
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.3XJC
Mapcode Global: WH54G.LF3M
Entry Name: Bryn-Meurig
Listing Date: 24 May 2000
Last Amended: 24 May 2000
Source ID: 23417
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the end of a long drive running north from the B4409 about 0.5km west of Pont y Twr; the well-landscaped grounds contain a number of important specimen trees and a ruined ice house lies clo
Community: Llandygai (Llandygái)
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built c1820 as house for the doctor to Penrhyn Slate Quarry and extended in mid-C19 during the ownership of Dr Hamilton Roberts, who in April 1847 used ether as an anaesthetic during the amputation of a quarryman's leg. Ether had first been used in this way in Boston, Masachusetts the previous year and its use by Roberts was the first occasion on which it was used in Wales. Much of the fine garden planting, including the purple beech, redwood and Cedar of Lebanon trees was carried out by Roberts.
2-storey, originally symmetrical 3-bay front, extended on right to form canted end and possibly at rear with lower service range set back on left. Roughcast rubblestone with hipped slate roof partly concealed by ashlar parapet with moulded cornice. Front has 3 evenly-spaced unhorned 9-paned sash windows with slate cills on first floor; wide gabled porch to centre has segmental outer arch, now with C20 sliding glass doors, over original doorway with semi-circular radiating fanlight and sidelights, panelled to bottom and glazed to top, containing C20 glazed door. To left of porch is 12-paned horned sash window and to right, slightly offset to right of first-floor window, is a canted bay window with slate roof and French windows. Right end wall takes form of full-height canted bay projection with 9-paned sashes to splays and blind window in centre on first floor over 10-paned French windows with margin lights in corresponding positions to ground floor. To right of this projection is a 6-paned sash window on first floor and 20-paned tripartite sash window directly below. Main range has 2 prominent ridge stacks to left and right. Service range has hipped slate roof and ridge stack with purple brick shaft; single-storey lean-to on front has top-hung window in style of 6-paned sash; 12-paned horizontal sliding sash window beneath eaves to left of lean-to and 12-paned casement windows on each floor in end wall.
Staircase in central hall, approached by an enriched round-headed ceiling arch on elaborately decorated consoles, has stick balusters, closed string and turned and wreathed bottom newel to moulded handrail. Room to right of hall has boarded floor, moulded cornice and Penrhyn Quarry polished slate fireplace with carved brackets to mantleshelf and decorated cast-iron grate; panelled window shutters and doors throughout.
Included as a substantial house of c1820, remodelled in mid-C19; historical associations with the nearby Penrhyn Slate Quarry.
Other nearby listed buildings