This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1756 / 53°10'32"N
Longitude: -4.0815 / 4°4'53"W
OS Eastings: 260978
OS Northings: 366302
OS Grid: SH609663
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.3YVS
Mapcode Global: WH54G.8FPV
Entry Name: ,1,,Bryn Eglwys,Bethesda,,
Listing Date: 24 May 2000
Last Amended: 24 May 2000
Source ID: 23418
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on south side of road at the west end of Bryn Eglwys at edge of steep hill which runs down past St Anne's Church towards Cil-geraint; low rubblestone wall in front, partly removed to right to
Community: Llandygai (Llandygái)
Locality: Bryn Eglwys
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built c1850 as part of a small planned community for workers at the nearby Penrhyn Slate Quarry, the cottages are typical of Edward Douglas-Pennant's considerable efforts to improve the Penrhyn Estate, to which he had succeeded in 1840. The Bryn Eglwys cottages appear to be slightly earlier than St Anne's Church, rebuilt here by the estate in 1865 after the original church of 1813 had been submerged by new workings at the quarry.
Interior not inspected at time of Survey.
Included as a pair of essentially unaltered mid-C19 small estate cottages of the simple 'vernacular revival' style particularly favoured by the Penrhyn Estate for its workers in the decades immediately after c1850; group value with similar contemporary cottages at Bryn Eglwys, a good example of a small planned quarry community of the mid-C19.
Other nearby listed buildings