This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1757 / 53°10'32"N
Longitude: -4.0819 / 4°4'54"W
OS Eastings: 260953
OS Northings: 366311
OS Grid: SH609663
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.3YS5
Mapcode Global: WH54G.8FHS
Entry Name: ,3,,Bryn Eglwys,Bethesda,,
Listing Date: 24 May 2000
Last Amended: 24 May 2000
Source ID: 23419
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on south side of road between Nos.1 & 2 and Nos.5, 6 & 7, Bryn Eglwys; low rubblestone wall to front, partly removed at each end to create vehicular accesses.
Community: Llandygai (Llandygái)
Locality: Bryn Eglwys
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built c1850 as part of a small planned community for workers at the nearby Penrhyn Slate Quarry, the cottages are typical of Edward Douglas-Pennant's considerable efforts to improve the Penrhyn Estate, to which he had succeeded in 1840. The Bryn Eglwys cottages appear to be slightly earlier than St Anne's Church, rebuilt here by the estate in 1865 after the original church of 1813 had been submerged by new workings at the quarry.
Interior not inspected at time of Survey.
Included, notwithstanding prominent C20 addition to No.3, as a pair of mid-C19 small estate cottages of the simple 'vernacular revival' style particularly favoured by the Penrhyn Estate for its workers in the decades immediately after c1850; group value with similar contemporary cottages at Bryn Eglwys, a good example of a small planned quarry community of the mid-C19.
Other nearby listed buildings