This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2147 / 53°12'52"N
Longitude: -4.1028 / 4°6'10"W
OS Eastings: 259682
OS Northings: 370690
OS Grid: SH596706
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.1KTR
Mapcode Global: WH547.YGGD
Entry Name: Air shaft to Llandygai Tunnel
Listing Date: 24 May 2000
Last Amended: 24 May 2000
Source ID: 23427
Building Class: Transport
Location: Situated on west side of A 5122 in pasture field above the Llandygai tunnel of the Chester to Holyhead Railway.
Community: Llandygai (Llandygái)
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The Chester to Holyhead line was proposed to improve links with Ireland, the bill being passed in July 1844 with Robert Stephenson as engineer and Francis Thompson of Derby as architect. The tunnel (and hence this air shaft) is likely to be by Stephenson with assistance from Mr Foster, the resident engineer for this stretch of the line. Opened 1 May 1848 and taken over by the London & North-Western Railway in 1859.
Built of coursed and dressed rubblestone blocks in the form of a crenellated circular turret, the shaft has "arrow slit" ventilation holes.
Included as an early railway structure of unusual form, the air shaft is a distinctive feature in the locality and a rare survival on the Welsh railway network.
Other nearby listed buildings