This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2151 / 53°12'54"N
Longitude: -4.097 / 4°5'49"W
OS Eastings: 260072
OS Northings: 370729
OS Grid: SH600707
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.1F81
Mapcode Global: WH548.1GB1
Entry Name: Tre-felin Cottages
Listing Date: 24 May 2000
Last Amended: 24 May 2000
Source ID: 23434
Building Class: Domestic
Location: One of a series of 4 paired cottages following curve of road and thus forming a crescent to west of the former Tre-felin Sawmill; low rubblestone wall to roadside, while to south are long gardens terr
Town: Llandygai, Bangor
Community: Llandygai (Llandygái)
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The Tre-felin Saw Mill and the adjoining cottages were here by 1888 (OS 1:2500 map). The 4 pairs of cottages were built for the sawmill workers, at the expense of the Penrhyn Estate which owned the mill. It is said that the cottages have their backs to the road so that Lord Penrhyn could not see the washing hanging in their gardens, which are thus screened from public view by the cottages themselves.
Roughcast and painted to front, side and rear; late C20 replacement windows with some openings altered.
Interior not inspected at time of Survey.
Included as one cottage in a well-preserved sequence of 4 paired cottages built by the Penrhyn Estate for workers in its sawmill, which was established in the shadow of the Chester to Holyhead railway in the second half of the C19; an important example of industrial workers' housing in an essentially rural context.
Other nearby listed buildings