This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2203 / 53°13'13"N
Longitude: -4.106 / 4°6'21"W
OS Eastings: 259490
OS Northings: 371320
OS Grid: SH594713
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.152W
Mapcode Global: WH547.WBY2
Entry Name: L-shaped Stable and Carriage Shed Range to main yard at Home Farm
Listing Date: 24 May 2000
Last Amended: 24 May 2000
Source ID: 23453
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Home Farm is situated on the east side of the A 5122 between Llandygai and Bangor on the western side of Penrhyn Park directly opposite a large industrial estate; the boundary wall of the park screens
Community: Llandygai (Llandygái)
Locality: Penrhyn Park
Built-Up Area: Llandygai
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Home Farm was established, as the name implies, as the home farm to the Penrhyn Estate soon after Edward Gordon Douglas-Pennant succeeded to the estate in 1840. Douglas-Pennant was a noted agricultural improver and first gave notice to his tenants of his intention to improve the estate through his agent, James Wyatt's address "To the Farming Tenantry of the Penrhyn Estate", printed in 1843. At Home Farm agent and owner combined to create a new farm based on the latest principles of agricultural efficiency.
L-shaped range of buildings with one range (stables) directly opposite northern and southern cottages and the other at right-angles to the north-west connecting with the range between the main and outer yards. Regularly coursed rubblestone with tooled Anglesey limestone ashlar dressings and quoins; slate roofs with slate-coped verges and simple kneelers. Stable range has 4 wide openings with boarded double doors grouped to left, doorway roughly to centre flanked by windows, another window (20-paned and pivot-hung) and then another wide opening with double doors; all openings segmental headed with voussoirs. To right of this is the gable end of corner building with twin round-headed blind openings, north wall of which has 6-paned sash to centre and boarded door to right, both segmental headed; prominent stone stack behind ridge. To right of this is the north elevation of the carriage sheds: central gabled break with round-headed arch surmounted by tall gabled bellcote, flanked by (from left) 2 full-height half-glazed double doors, a boarded door and 12-paned sash (both segmental headed) and to right a 12-paned sash, wide inserted opening and a boarded door (original openings again segmental headed).
Interior not accessible at time of Survey.
Included as an integral part of the very fine complex of farmbuildings at Home Farm, one of the best-preserved, largest and earliest of the many 'model' farms on the Penrhyn Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings