This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1275 / 52°7'38"N
Longitude: -3.4112 / 3°24'40"W
OS Eastings: 303492
OS Northings: 248625
OS Grid: SO034486
Mapcode National: GBR YN.82J0
Mapcode Global: VH69Z.TSHF
Entry Name: Church of St David
Listing Date: 12 July 2000
Last Amended: 22 February 2001
Source ID: 23522
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The settlement of Llanddewi'r Cwm is about 2km S of Builth Wells on B4250. The church stands in a large churchyard on SE side of the road.
Town: Builth Wells
Community: Duhonw (Aberdunhonw)
Locality: Llanddewi'r Cwm
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Medieval church in a circular churchyard, a church here is mentioned in the Taxatio of 1183. Altered medieval tower possibly C13-C14 presumably cutdown for present pyramid roof, medieval chancel, but nave rebuilt in 1847 by Joshua Daniels. Further work in 1913 may include the E window and chancel arch.
Church, rubble stone with slate roofs and coped shouldered gables. W tower, nave and chancel. Tower is plain with hipped overhanging slate roof with swept eaves. Tiny 2-light bell-openings to N only with C19 cusped heads and louvres. N side also has ground floor small single light recessed in crude segmental pointed surround. W front and S side have no openings.
Nave of 4-bays with buttresses and Y-tracery sandstone ashlar 2-light windows with stone voussoirs. N side has 3 windows with sandstone hoodmoulds and gabled porch in first bay with coped gable, pointed chamfered entry and low angle buttresses. Double oak gates. Inner door with stone voussoirs to segmental-pointed head. C19 board door. Nave S has only 2 windows, in second and fourth bays, similar tracery but no hoodmoulds. Chancel is lower with similar coped gable, cross-finial and ashlar gabled shoulders. C19 3-light E window of red sandstone early C20 with 3 lancet lights, 2 tiny trefoils in spandrels and hoodmould. N side has 2 recessed chamfered tiny lancets and affixed memorial of 1834. S side has medieval chamfered lancet and pointed oak-plank door to left in chamfered rubble stone surround.
Plastered walls, nave with boarded roof of 4 bays, arch-braced late C19 collar trusses with metal plates to collar and metal-rod ties. W wall apparently cut back at upper level. Moulded pointed chancel arch of two orders, inner arch dying into piers, outer arch chamfered on moulded capitals and with hoodmould. Similar stonework to reveal of E window. Chancel has late C19 or early C20 oak open arch-braced rafter roof, mouldings only over sanctuary. Fittings: medieval crude deep font, tapered square with chamfered angles on off-centre squat round pier with round base. Attractive octagonal timber pulpit possibly earlier C20 with close set balusters to upper panels, moulded cornice and panelled base. Eagle lectern. Earlier C20 altar rails, timber with flower ornament. Later C19 pine pews. Monuments: chancel N 2 colour neo-classical monument with fluted pilaster, cornice and curved top and bottom, centre panel with crude sarcophagus plaque to William Powell of the Noyadd (d 1826), signed by Price of Builth. White marble neo-Grec plaque to Jane Powell of New Hall (d 1849). Various lettered floor slabs in chancel including Thomas Price of Doldlinwyod (d 1787).
Included as a restored church with medieval tower and chancel, picturesquely sited in circular churchyard.