This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5617 / 52°33'41"N
Longitude: -3.7584 / 3°45'30"W
OS Eastings: 280896
OS Northings: 297433
OS Grid: SN808974
Mapcode National: GBR 96.CM9H
Mapcode Global: WH68N.7WJ1
Entry Name: Aberhosan Independent Chapel, including forecourt walls and railings
Listing Date: 18 July 2000
Last Amended: 27 May 2005
Source ID: 23527
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on the W edge of Aberhosan on the N side of the minor road through the village.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Independent chapel of 1860 in the style of the Rev. Thomas Thomas of Landore, architect of numerous chapels between c1850 and c1883. Some similarities to chapels by Thomas at Newcastle Emlyn and Ystradgynlais.
Chapel, white-painted stucco with slate hipped roof. Near square plan, 3-bay front and 3-bay sides. Front has outer pilasters with plain block capitals under eaves, long arched side windows with centre mullion and 16 panes. Centre has small minimal Palladian window, simplified to arched centre (of 8 panes with centre mullion) and 3-pane sides. Replaced plaque beneath 'Addoldy. Eglwys Annibynwyr Aberhosan Adeiladwyd 1860'. Centre arched rusticated doorway with keystone. Double panelled doors, long panels and curved panels to head. All window sills have a stucco sill or strip beneath on small brackets. Three-window side-walls, with long windows like those on front, the left side is slate-hung. Rubble stone windowless rear.
Attached low white-washed rubble forecourt wall with slate coping, iron rails and dog-bars to front walls. Plain piers with slate stepped caps and matching iron gates with unusual circular strengthening bar and scroll tops to hanging and meeting rails.
Square interior with painted three-sided gallery on 7 iron columns, the gallery front in long panels on modillion cornice, and curved at angles. Steeply raked gallery pews. Painted box pews in 3 blocks, the front block then widened with convex curve as great seat. Ornate pulpit with contrasted wood tones. The pulpit on a square base with Gothic panels including some small painted quatrefoils, the top with heavy bookrest on 2 ringed columns flanking a panel with painted Gothic ornament. The steps up have complex traceried rails in a design of arches and lozenges. Low pulpit back with boarding under horizontal panel with scroll ends and pediment above. This is set in a plaster arch with panelled piers. Dado boarding following line of pulpit steps and then all around. Painted board ceiling with centre roundel, diagonal ribs out to 4 square fretwork panels at angles, and borders between squares. Entrance lobby with 2 doors and centre window with coloured glass margins and lozenge panes.
Listed as a well-designed chapel of the transitional phase between the simple chapels of the late Georgian tradition and the more elaborate later C19 chapels.
Other nearby listed buildings