This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5749 / 51°34'29"N
Longitude: -4.1481 / 4°8'53"W
OS Eastings: 251240
OS Northings: 188407
OS Grid: SS512884
Mapcode National: GBR GT.1RWS
Mapcode Global: VH4KD.1PY2
Entry Name: Preaching cross in St Nicholas' Churchyard
Listing Date: 19 July 2000
Last Amended: 19 July 2000
Source ID: 23545
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: At the south-west corner of St Nicholas' Church
Community: Ilston (Llanddinol)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Preaching cross designed by George E Halliday, together with the church of St Nicholas, on the commission of Miss Olive Talbot of Penrice. A fragment of the original C14 or C15 cross was found during the rebuilding of the church, and was taken as the exemplar, with octagonal shaft and arms and a cusped decoration in the angles. The carving is by William Clarke of Llandaff.
A stone preaching cross on a Calvary of three steps with a large plinth block, the latter changing from square to octagonal. The shaft is also square at foot, changing to octagonal, and carries octagonal cross arms. On the east side is the figure of Christ and on the west side a corresponding bracket with the Virgin and Child.
A fine late C19 interpretation of a late mediaeval preaching cross, associated with the Gothic Revival restoration of St Nicholas' Church.
Other nearby listed buildings