This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1844 / 53°11'3"N
Longitude: -3.4206 / 3°25'13"W
OS Eastings: 305169
OS Northings: 366194
OS Grid: SJ051661
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.3HKL
Mapcode Global: WH771.F7D4
Entry Name: Pentref Methodist Chapel and School-room, including adjoining Manse
Listing Date: 20 July 2000
Last Amended: 20 July 2000
Source ID: 23568
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back slightly behind a shallow railed forecourt.
Community: Denbigh (Dinbych)
Locality: Denbigh - Town
Built-Up Area: Denbigh
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Founded in 1801; the present complex is a mid-Victorian remodelling, probably of the 1860s.
Chapel, manse and schoolroom group. Of limestone construction with squared stone elevations and fine limestone dressings; slate roofs. The chapel is set back on the R. Three-bay symmetrical facade with open pediment and central ocular vent. Single-storey porch with classical, moulded arched entrance and recessed 16-panel double doors, the panels fielded; moulded cornice and flat roof with surmounting parapet, raised to the centre. 12-pane recessed windows to flanking bays, with marginal glazing and projecting sills. Three arched windows to the gallery floor, the central one larger and all with dressed and moulded voussoirs springing from moulded abaci; glazing as before.
The schoolroom block is advanced and adjoins to the L. Symmetrical gabled facade of 3 bays, with stone-coped gable parapet. Sash windows with marginal glazing to 2 floors, those to the upper floor arched and the central ones larger.
Adjoining the schoolroom block to the L, slightly recessed, is the manse. This has a gable with moulded bargeboards and a large brick chimney with moulded upper courses. W entrance to the L with 6-panel door and rectangular overlight. To the R of this are 2 paired sashes; round-arched sash window to the first floor. Modern extension to the rear.
The interior was not inspected at the time of survey.
Listed for its special interest as a C19 chapel, manse and school-room group retaining its original external character in a prominent town-centre location.
Other nearby listed buildings