This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0625 / 53°3'45"N
Longitude: -4.2262 / 4°13'34"W
OS Eastings: 250917
OS Northings: 354015
OS Grid: SH509540
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.C5VS
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.19S1
Entry Name: Eureka Slate Mill
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23675
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located on Level VIII (Bonc Brig) of Pen- yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry immediately to the north-east of the slate steps leading down to Level VI (Bonc yr Offis).
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Known as the Eureka mill, the building was constructed in 1896 and originally powered by a steam engine; substantially remodelled to house diamond saws in the 1960s and again in 1978-9 to admit road vehicles. The quarry opened c1816 and in 1863 it was bought by W A Darbishire & Co. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here: it finally closed in 1997.
Regularly coursed slate slabs and rubblestone; half-hipped slate roofs with full-length skylighting to ridges on original building, now extended down the roofslopes in corrugated plastic sheeting. Original plan comprises 2 long rectangular ranges aligned south-east to north-west with central valley; lower gabled ranges to north-west may also be original or added shortly afterwards. Both main ranges were originally accessed by railways in the end walls, while the long north-east wall has a doorway inserted into it to admit tracked vehicles. A large breeze block and metal-sheet roofed building (c1978) has been added to the north-east side linking the building to a small late C19 stone structure with a lean-to slate slab roof.
Original king-post roof structure to C19 building. Contains late C20 Anderson Grice saws and a slate dresser. A conveyor belt has been installed in the south-east gable to take out trimming waste.
Included as a substantial slate mill at the centre of the Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry, which despite extensive modification retains its basic original form.
Other nearby listed buildings