This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0582 / 53°3'29"N
Longitude: -4.1772 / 4°10'38"W
OS Eastings: 254183
OS Northings: 353437
OS Grid: SH541534
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.CCRY
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.TD0B
Entry Name: Bwthyn
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23678
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the south side of the B 4418 at the foot of a rock face directly opposite the Chapel.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Shown on the 1840 Tithe Map, the cottages were built before 1836 to house workers at the nearby copper mine (now disused and ruinous), which was already working in the 1790s. It appears from the plan-form of the building and the existence of garden enclosures that the cottages were constructed as family rather than barrack accommodation. Another row of cottages, now a roofless ruin, stands a little closer to the rock face to the south-west.
Row of 3 copper miners' cottages. Roughly coursed rubblestone, painted to left part; large graded slate roof. Single storey. Long rectangular plan consisting of 3 cottages, the right now abandoned. Mid-C19 plate glass sashes in original openings, once 6 (now 5) in total, to either side of regularly spaced plank doors; integral end stacks and 2 ridge stacks, all with slate drips, the ridge stacks shared between cottages. The right cottage has widened entrance to front in place of the original doorway and right window. The left and centre cottages retain their original drystone-walled garden enclosures to the front.
Interior not inspected at time of Survey.
Included as a good example of purpose-built early C19 copper mine workers' cottages, which form a good group with the roughly contemporary chapel and house (Glanrafon) opposite.
Other nearby listed buildings