History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bryn Deulyn

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanllyfni, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.056 / 53°3'21"N

Longitude: -4.2302 / 4°13'48"W

OS Eastings: 250626

OS Northings: 353296

OS Grid: SH506532

Mapcode National: GBR 5K.CJX1

Mapcode Global: WH43T.ZGS1

Entry Name: Bryn Deulyn

Listing Date: 21 July 2000

Last Amended: 21 July 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 23679

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on bend in narrow road at eastern entrance to Dorothea Slate Quarry with hooped iron railings on low entrance walls swept to left side to enable easy vehicular access.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Caernarfon

Community: Llanllyfni

Community: Llanllyfni

Locality: Nantlle

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Nantlle

History

Said to have been built for the manager of Dorothea Slate Quarry after 1853, the house is not included in the 1851 census.

Exterior

Snecked rubble slabs, slate hung to front on first floor with bands of green slate, rendered to ground floor; hipped slate roof with rendered integral end stacks. 2 storeys. Double-pile plan. 3-window front, slightly recessed 16-paned sashes with slate cills to first floor. Ground floor has full-width hip-roofed veranda supported by 4 cast-iron columns with glazing bar sashes to canted bay windows on either side of central entrance. This is through a slightly recessed door with 2 lower panels and 3 arched and glazed openings to the top; plain semi-circular fanlight. Left return is slate hung.

Interior

C19 fireplaces to front ground-floor rooms. Dog-leg staircase with open string and cut brackets, stick balusters (2 of iron) and turned newels, the larger one on the landing possibly a replacement, lit by a tall round-arched window with the name of Herbert Jones (son of the first tenant) scratched on the glass.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well-preserved slate quarry manager's house built at the entrance to the quarry itself. The house is a polite building exhibiting features typical of modest rectories and gentlemen's houses of the period; makes good use of the local material (slate).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.