This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0253 / 53°1'31"N
Longitude: -4.2809 / 4°16'51"W
OS Eastings: 247121
OS Northings: 349992
OS Grid: SH471499
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.FJKT
Mapcode Global: WH440.67Q1
Entry Name: Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23692
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located on the eastern side of the village street with the manse (Ty Capel) directly adjacent, the chapel is approached by a driveway flanked by low stone walls.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Shown on the 1840 Tithe Map, the chapel was founded as an Independent chapel in 1823 but the present building is unlikely to have been erected before c1860.
Simple rectangular plan in plain Gothic style. Regularly coursed and dressed rubblestone (mainly granite) to front, more roughly coursed to sides and rear; slate roof. 2 broad C20 lancets with C20 windows to centre of front gable, flanked by round-arched doorways with plank doors and fanlights, all with stone voussoirs. Windows of the same pattern appear to sides and rear, 3 to former and 2 to latter.
Raked floor with plastered walls above matchboarded dado; plain moulded cornice to flat ceiling with central ornamental plaster rose. Complete set of box pews with chamfered panels. Set fawr contains pulpit with 2 flights of steps, turned balustrade, square newels with finials and panelled sides.
Included as a good example of a simple mid-C19 Independent chapel with contemporary manse adjoining, forming the nucleus of a characteristic upland hamlet in the distinctive slate quarrying landscape of the area. The chapel interior has undergone little later alteration.
Other nearby listed buildings