This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.056 / 53°3'21"N
Longitude: -4.2873 / 4°17'14"W
OS Eastings: 246801
OS Northings: 353417
OS Grid: SH468534
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.CH0M
Mapcode Global: WH43T.3GP1
Entry Name: Hen-dy
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23701
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the west side of Ffordd Haearn Bach (the old tram road) approximately 200m north-west of Pen-y-Groes.
Built-Up Area: Penygroes
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Shown on the 1840 Tithe Map, the former farmhouse presumably became a farmbuilding after the construction of the present farmhouse [Oxton Villa] on the site in the late C19. The lowland setting of the farm probably accounts for its larger size in comparison to the many upland smallholdings elsewhere in the Community.
Roughly coursed rubblestone with galleting, rendered to house part; graded slate roof with ridge stack to left at junction with cowhouse. Long rectangular plan comprising 2-unit house part with attached cowhouse to left. 2 storeys. House part has plank door under simple flat-roofed porch to left of centre and flanking cast-iron windows, left with further cast-iron window above directly below eaves; cowhouse has roughly central entrance.
Fireplace to ridge stack has vestiges of mid-C19 cast-iron range and bread oven. Cowhouse has cobbled floor with central drain.
Included as a good example (albeit now in poor condition) of a lowland vernacular farmstead retaining much of its original character.
Other nearby listed buildings