This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0541 / 53°3'14"N
Longitude: -4.2838 / 4°17'1"W
OS Eastings: 247031
OS Northings: 353196
OS Grid: SH470531
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.CPVJ
Mapcode Global: WH43T.5HCJ
Entry Name: Muriau & Muriau Stores
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 24 October 2000
Source ID: 23704
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Located in the centre of Penygroes on the west side of Heol-y-Dwr (Water Street) near the junction with Lon Pitar.
Built-Up Area: Penygroes
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built as an inn and farmhouse in 1823, remaining in use as an inn until the early C20. The shop was established in part of the premises in 1923, and the present shop-front dates from that time. It was here that the promoters of the Ffestiniog Railway, Samuel Holland and Henry Archer, met in 1826. There appears to have been a halt on the Nantlle Railway adjacent to the house, which may therefore have served as a kind of station for a time.
Early C19 house, with early C20 shop to left. Regularly coursed and dressed rubblestone and granite blocks, roughcast to left gable end; slate roof with coped verges and integral end stack to left gable end; roof lights in rear slope. 2 storeys, with attic storey within the roof, and partial cellars. 3-window front, with 3 sashes to first floor, probably originally 9-paned but now with plate glass to lower leaves. Central entrance (to house) through half-glazed door with raised and fielded single panel and rectangular overlight with house-name in etched glass (c1923). Wide fixed-light window to right with 2 mullions to top above high transom. Shop front of c1923 to right has recessed central entrance with half-glazed door, curved display windows and etched glass above high transom; painted fascia with simple cornice and brackets.
Interior of house and shop retain traditional character of early C20: probably original joinery detail, including staircase, in house.
Listed as a good early C19 house of vernacular character retaining also an unusually well-preserved and very fine shop-front of traditional type.
Other nearby listed buildings