This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0593 / 53°3'33"N
Longitude: -4.2726 / 4°16'21"W
OS Eastings: 247795
OS Northings: 353756
OS Grid: SH477537
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.C6L2
Mapcode Global: WH43T.BCNH
Entry Name: Disused cottage to south-west of Llwyndu Canol
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23718
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in a lowland position in pasture fields to the north of Ffordd Llwyndu (Llwyndu Road), a minor road running from Penygroes to Carmel.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Shown on the 1840 Tithe Map, its existing field system already then intact, the smallholding is likely to have been established as part of early C19 encroachment or through fragmentation of earlier holdings.
Roughly coursed rubblestone, rendered to front and right gable end; graded slate roof and integral end stacks with slate drips. Single storey. Rectangular plan, now one room, possibly originally 2. Two windows flanking doorway to right of centre, all with raised cement architraves. Contemporary catslide outshut to rear on left.
Plastered walls to single room with no dividing wall. One A-frame truss with 2 sets of purlins; lime torching between rafters.
Included as a largely unaltered example of a smallholder's cottage, relatively unusual in this area as being in a lowland context, on a holding sustained by a mixed agricultural economy, as evidenced by the surviving threshing barn immediately to the north-east.
Other nearby listed buildings