This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0625 / 53°3'45"N
Longitude: -4.2246 / 4°13'28"W
OS Eastings: 251026
OS Northings: 354012
OS Grid: SH510540
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.C084
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.29K1
Entry Name: Winding house
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23724
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located on Level VIII (Bonc Brig) of Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry to the east of the Eureka Slate Mill.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Winding house built c1923. The quarry opened c1816 and in 1863 it was bought by W A Darbishire & Co. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here: it finally closed in l997.
Regularly coursed slate slabs and irregularly coursed rubblestone; slate roof with integral end stack to south-east gable. Ramped entrance to doorway to far right on north-east wall. Multi-paned horizontal window to north-west gable end and 2-light window to south-east gable end.
Electric motor and uphaulage drum survive intact.
Included as an electrically-powered winding house associated with the pioneering electrical technology employed at Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarry between 1900 and 1925.
Other nearby listed buildings