This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0625 / 53°3'44"N
Longitude: -4.2231 / 4°13'22"W
OS Eastings: 251128
OS Northings: 354005
OS Grid: SH511540
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.C0M4
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.3992
Entry Name: Weighbridge House
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23725
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located directly adjacent to the locomotive shed immediately to the north of the incline and drumhouse at the south-east corner of Level VIII (Bonc Brig) of Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarry.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Weighbridge house built between 1900 and 1915 during a period of expansion at the quarry. The quarry opened c1816 and in 1863 was bought by W A Darbishire & Co. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here: it finally closed in 1997.
Regularly coursed slate slabs; slate roof with rendered integral end stack to south-east gable end. Entrance in north-west gable end; horizontal sliding sash window to front wall. Section of narrow gauge railway track alongside with the words "W. & T. AVERY Ltd. BIRMINGHAM" in raised lettering to base-plate. A wagon stands on the track.
Retains cast-iron balancing mechanism and weighbridge.
Included as a well-preserved early C20 weighbridge house with weighbridge surviving intact, directly adjoining contemporary locomotive shed.
Other nearby listed buildings