This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0625 / 53°3'44"N
Longitude: -4.223 / 4°13'22"W
OS Eastings: 251133
OS Northings: 354001
OS Grid: SH511540
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.C0N7
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.39B2
Entry Name: Locomotive Shed
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23727
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located immediately to the north of the incline and drumhouse at the south-east corner of Level VIII (Bonc Brig) of Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarry.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built between 1900 and 1915 during a period of expansion at the quarry. The quarry opened c1816 and in 1863 it was bought by W A Darbishire & Co. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here; it finally closed in 1997.
Regularly coursed slate slabs; slate roof with exposed rafter feet and integral end stack to south-east gable. Rectangular plan. One tall and one lower entrance, both with steel lintels, to north-west gable end. 12-light horizontal window in south-east gable end. Alongside is an iron tank on a slate plinth, used for supplying water to the locomotives.
Roof in 2 bays with central A-frame truss.
Included as a well-preserved early C20 locomotive shed with contemporary weighbridge house directly adjacent.
Other nearby listed buildings