This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0603 / 53°3'37"N
Longitude: -4.2253 / 4°13'31"W
OS Eastings: 250970
OS Northings: 353767
OS Grid: SH509537
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.C62C
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.2B7Q
Entry Name: Quarry Offices
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23731
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located between the store building to the north and the barracks to the south-west on Level VI (Bonc yr Offis) of Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The quarry offices were built in 2 stages, in c1863 and between 1899 and 1907. The quarry opened c1816 when it was worked by William Turner. In 1863 it was bought by W A Darbishire & Co., after which it underwent substantial modernisation, reflected in the use of both water and steam power. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here; it finally closed in 1997.
Single-storey T-plan office building, the earlier range (cross-wing) to the west, aligned approximately north-south with the later range to the east, aligned roughly east-west. The later range has opposed doors front and back through which the men progressed to collect their wages. Coursed slate rubble construction, the earlier cross-wing with remains of render and probably later slate hanging, the later range with some red brick dressings; gable-ended slate roofs with brick stacks. 12-paned sash to front cross-wing and three 6-paned sashes in later range.
Original plaster finishes survive.
Listed as a good example of quarry offices at the remarkably well-preserved slate quarry at Pen-yr-Orsedd.
Other nearby listed buildings