This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0596 / 53°3'34"N
Longitude: -4.2258 / 4°13'32"W
OS Eastings: 250933
OS Northings: 353692
OS Grid: SH509536
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.CCXY
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.1CZ8
Entry Name: Winding Drumhouse and Incline
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23733
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located to the south-east of the slate mill on Level VI (Bonc yr Offis) of Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry, the drumhouse is dramatically sited at the head of the incline running downhill to the south-east
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Drumhouse built in the late 1860s or early '70s. The quarry opened c1816 when it was worked by William Turner. In 1863 it was bought by W A Darbishire & Co., after which it underwent substantial modernisation, reflected in the use of both water and steam power. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here; it finally closed in 1997.
Consisting of 2 massive battered piers constucted of sawn slate blocks with a gable-ended slate roof; remains of a slate-built structure attached to south-east gable end. The slate-built incline survives in relatively good condition with some rails in situ; a flight of steps runs alongside.
Drumhouse retains winding drum with brake mechanism.
Listed as a good example of a drumhouse and incline forming part of the remarkably well-preserved complex of slate quarry buildings at Pen-yr-Orsedd.
Other nearby listed buildings