This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0596 / 53°3'34"N
Longitude: -4.2266 / 4°13'35"W
OS Eastings: 250880
OS Northings: 353690
OS Grid: SH508536
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.CCRG
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.1CL9
Entry Name: Slab Mill
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23734
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Directly adjoins the large slate mill on Level IV (Bonc Isa') of Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in 1868 housing a new steam engine, a Hunter patent saw costing £200 and a 9' by 5' (2.74m by 1.5m) planer costing £100. The planer is now in the slate mill on Level VI of the quarry. The quarry opened c1816 when it was worked by William Turner. In 1863 it was bought by W A Darbishire & Co., after which it underwent substantial modernisation, reflected in the use of both water and steam power. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here; it finally closed in 1997.
Large rectangular plan structure adjoining the south-east end of the even larger slate mill to the north. Built of regularly coursed slate slabs under a low-eaved gable-ended slate roof.
Contains a smithing hearth and a crusher base.
Included as a well-preserved slab mill, important for illustrating the experimental stage of mechanical slab processing at Pen-yr -Orsedd and as part of the remarkably well-preserved complex of slate quarry structures on the site. It is the earliest surviving mill in the whole of the Dyffryn Nantlle area.
Other nearby listed buildings