This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0593 / 53°3'33"N
Longitude: -4.2266 / 4°13'35"W
OS Eastings: 250876
OS Northings: 353652
OS Grid: SH508536
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.CCRL
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.1CLK
Entry Name: Winding Drumhouse
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23736
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located to the south-east of the slate mill on Level IV of Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry above the remains of the incline leading down to the start of the former Nantlle Railway below.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Drumhouse of the late 1860s or early 1870s. The quarry opened c1816 when it was worked by William Turner. In 1863 it was bought by W A Darbishire & Co., after which it underwent substantial modernisation, reflected in the use of both water and steam power. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here; it finally closed in 1997.
Drumhouse constructed of sawn slate blocks with gable-ended slate roof. The lower sections of the side walls supporting the drum axle are wider and of more massive construction than the upper sections which support the roof only. Remains of adjoining slate-built structures to south-east and south-west.
The drum survives with its brake mechanism.
Listed as a good example of a slate quarry incline drumhouse forming part of a well-preserved group of quarry structures at Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry.
Other nearby listed buildings