This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0592 / 53°3'33"N
Longitude: -4.2265 / 4°13'35"W
OS Eastings: 250887
OS Northings: 353650
OS Grid: SH508536
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.CCSP
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.1CNK
Entry Name: Locomotive Shed
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23737
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Directly adjoins the drumhouse on Level IV (Bonc Isa') of Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in 1878 to house the locomotive Kelso, later extended to hold a second locomotive. The quarry opened c1816 when it was worked by William Turner. In 1863 it was bought by W A Darbishire & Co., after which it underwent substantial modernisation, reflected in the use of both water and steam power. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here; it finally closed in 1997.
Roughly coursed slate-slab constructed rectangular plan building with extension to south-east end; gable-ended slate roof (slates largely missing at time of Survey). Main entrance in north-west gable end with 2 pedestrian doorways, one blocked, to north-east long wall.
Included as part of the remarkably well-preserved complex of structures at Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry, forming a group with other buildings on Level IV and important also as a structure from the first major period of expansion at the quarry.
Other nearby listed buildings