This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0601 / 53°3'36"N
Longitude: -4.2275 / 4°13'38"W
OS Eastings: 250825
OS Northings: 353747
OS Grid: SH508537
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.CCJP
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.1B6X
Entry Name: Ropeway Winding House (north-east)
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23738
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located immediately to the north-west of the slate mill on Level IV (Bonc Isa') of Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in 1929 to wind the blondin ropeway from Wern Ifan pit. The quarry opened c1816 when it was worked by William Turner. In 1863 it was bought by W A Darbishire & Co., after which it underwent substantial modernisation, reflected in the use of both water and steam power. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here; it finally closed in 1997.
Single-storey rectangular plan structure aligned north-east to south-west, constructed of roughly coursed slate slabs with gable-ended slate roof. Central window (joinery missing) to front wall with doorway and further window openings in left gable end; integral red brick stack to right gable end.
Retains concrete base for former electric motor which wound the blondin ropeway. On the internal wall are 3 murals, each contained in a painted disc, one depicting a horse's head, the others a bird on a branch and a dog's head with potted plant.
Included as a well-preserved example of a C20 winding house operated by electric power and associated with the extensive blondin system at the quarry; part of the remarkable complex of buildings at Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry forming a group with other items on Level IV.
Other nearby listed buildings