This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0602 / 53°3'36"N
Longitude: -4.2254 / 4°13'31"W
OS Eastings: 250960
OS Northings: 353749
OS Grid: SH509537
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.C61B
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.2B5V
Entry Name: Barracks Building
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23739
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located to the south-west of the quarry offices on Level VI (Bonc yr Offis) of Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Barracks building, c1863. The quarry opened c1816 when it was worked by William Turner. In 1863 it was bought by W A Darbishire & Co., after which it underwent substantial modernisation, reflected in the use of both water and steam power. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here; it finally closed in 1997.
Single-storey barracks building of shallow double-depth T-plan with central gabled projection; slightly lower block to south-west. Squared and coursed slate stone with remains of some probably later slate hanging; gable-ended roofs with polychromatic slate banding; chimneys of sawn slate blocks, some rendered. Main range has front of 1:2 windows with remains of C19 sashes; small shallow pyramidal-roofed entrance porch in angle with central gabled projection has C20 door.
Much of the original lath and plasterwork survives.
Listed as a good example of a barracks building at the remarkably well-preserved slate quarry of Pen-yr-Orsedd, part of a very extensive group of buildings serving the quarry and illustrative of its social organisation.
Other nearby listed buildings