This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0602 / 53°3'36"N
Longitude: -4.2251 / 4°13'30"W
OS Eastings: 250983
OS Northings: 353750
OS Grid: SH509537
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.C63J
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.2BBV
Entry Name: Quarry Hospital
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23740
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located to the south-east of the quarry offices on Level VI (Bonc yr Offis) of Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The quarry opened c1816 when it was worked by William Turner. In 1863 it was bought by W A Darbishire & Co., after which it underwent substantial modernisation, reflected in the use of both water and steam power. During the 1890s about 450 men worked here; it finally closed in 1997. The social concerns of the quarry company in the late C19 are evident in the existence of this building, which dates from this period, and in the quality of the barracks accommodation.
Single-storey rectangular plan building, aligned roughly north-west to south-east with gabled projection to centre on front. Uncoursed rubblestone with red brick dressings; gable-ended slate roofs, slates largely missing at time of Survey, and central brick stack. Lower central gabled projection has pair of door openings and small 2-light window above. Pair of windows flanking gable, each with 2-light casement and brick reveals.
Much of the original plasterwork survives intact.
Included as a well-preserved and rare example of a quarry hospital at the remarkable Pen-yr-Orsedd Slate Quarry complex, illustrating the social organisation of the quarry.
Other nearby listed buildings