This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6364 / 52°38'10"N
Longitude: -4.0694 / 4°4'9"W
OS Eastings: 260058
OS Northings: 306301
OS Grid: SH600063
Mapcode National: GBR 8S.6W53
Mapcode Global: WH56Z.GZFS
Entry Name: Hen siop, with front garden wall
Listing Date: 26 July 2000
Last Amended: 26 July 2000
Source ID: 23780
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house stands back from the minor road leading N from the crossroads immediately E of the church, running towards Cae'r mynach and the open hill of Allt-lwyd.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The building, which was originally called Tyddyn-du-yr-arfod, and later Bryn o'r-orsedd, is probably of mid-later C17 date, representing a more substantial farmhouse of the period. It was occupied by John Watkin in 1664, and later it housed the village grocer's shop operated by Henry Parry in 1675. It is recorded in Myfyrian Archaiology of Wales, that one of the 4 gorseddau of Britain met here regularly, including in 1647, and the large erratic boulder behind the house may well mark the position.
Built of rubble stone, with a slate roof between raised stone-coped gables with chimney stacks. One storey and attic, 3 bays. Central timber door, and C19 4-pane sash windows to each bay either side. The windows of the upper floor have timber cross casements rising above the eaves as 3 gabled dormers. Added lean-to at the rear containing the kitchen. The building extends to the E with a stable and outbuildings in line, this extended to the front under a continuation of the front roof. Boarded door to the stable. In front of the house, a curved stone wall with a central gate.
The front entrance opens into a full bay width hallway, with the living kitchen to the left, and a smaller parlour on the right. The living room has a large gable-end fireplace with splayed reveals, a former small circular stair on the right, and an oven in the left cheek. The stair is replaced with an early C20 stair in the central bay, which retains the original rear door into the lean-to kitchen. Cross beams on the bay divisions, and chamfered ceiling joists with cut stops.
Included as a well-preserved C17 farmhouse which retains a strong regional character both externally and internally, and has interesting associations as an early meeting place for the gorsedd.
Other nearby listed buildings