This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8243 / 51°49'27"N
Longitude: -3.0843 / 3°5'3"W
OS Eastings: 325366
OS Northings: 214521
OS Grid: SO253145
Mapcode National: GBR F2.WCKW
Mapcode Global: VH795.HD9T
Entry Name: Bridge 102 over the Brecknock & Abergavenny Canal
Listing Date: 27 July 2000
Last Amended: 27 July 2000
Source ID: 23827
Building Class: Transport
Location: Situated immediately north of the A465 Heads of the Valleys Road, approximately 0.75 km south-east of Gilwern.
Community: Llanelly (Llanelli)
Built-Up Area: Gilwern
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Built 1802-05 by Thomas Cartwright, engineer. In 1792, the Act for the Monmouthshire Canal was passed: in the same year, the promoters of the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal were proposing a canal to run separately, from Brecon to Newbridge. By October 1792 it was resolved to link directly to the proposed Monmouthshire Canal rather than the river Usk, and Thomas Dadford, engineer, was asked to survey a suitable route from Pontypool to Brecon. Work began early in 1797 with the aqueduct and embankment at Gilwern, and by November 1797, the eight-and-a-half mile (13.7 kilometre) section from Gilwern to Llangynidr was open. A further twelve mile (19.3 kilometre) section to Talybont was open by February 1799, and on Christmas Eve 1800, the final link to Brecon was opened. After 1798, Thomas Dadford was replaced with Thomas Cartwright, who engineered the extension of the canal form Gilwern to Llanfoist 1802-05, including Bridge 102. By February 1812 the canal had connected to the Monmouthshire Canal at Ponymoile, and the wharves at Brecon and Gilwern had been extended. The engineer for this section was William Crosley. After, when the Newport and Pontypool Railway was promoted, the canals were in decline. The Brecknock and Abergavenny Company made several unsuccessful overtures to various railway companies, but by 1865 had sold out to the Monmouthshire Canal Company. The last toll on the canal was taken in February 1933.
Rubble sandstone construction. Semi-elliptical arch with stone voussoirs; projecting keystone. Vault of bridge has four parallel iron strap-rails to prevent collapse. Humped parapet splayed out to square piers; slab copings. NE sloping revetment wall for footpath, with stone-slab stile towards end.
Listed as a significant element of the engineering works associated with the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal.
Other nearby listed buildings