This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.819 / 51°49'8"N
Longitude: -3.1107 / 3°6'38"W
OS Eastings: 323538
OS Northings: 213961
OS Grid: SO235139
Mapcode National: GBR F1.WR01
Mapcode Global: VH795.1JCW
Entry Name: Tramroad Bridge near Forge House
Listing Date: 27 July 2000
Last Amended: 27 July 2000
Source ID: 23840
Building Class: Transport
Location: Bridges carries no-through road from Saleyard to A465 over Clydach river. Situated immediately SE of Forge House. Approximately 1 km SW of Maesygwartha.
Community: Llanelly (Llanelli)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Built 1809-11 to carry the Llam-march tramroad, begun in 1794 by John Dadford, engineer. This section of tramroad was built to link the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal at Gilwern to the collieries and iron-ore quarries at Llam-march, via the Clydach Ironworks, which was set up c. 1793 by Edward and John Kendall, who sub-let the works to Edward Frere and Thomas Cooke. The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Company resolved to allow Frere, Cooke and Edward Kendall to build a railroad on 28th May 1794 from Llam-march to the ironworks, the iron company paying a rental of 8% a year of the cost of construction and to be responsible for all repairs. By June 1795, the railroad was largely complete. In 1800, the Brecon and Abergavenny Canal was completed from Brecon to Gilwern, and by 1812, the canal was extended to link with the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile, which enabled direct links with Newport and the Bristol Channel . With the expansion of the canal system, the Clydach Iron Company successfully applied in 1809 to extend the Llam-march tramroad to the canal at Gilwern, where they built a wharf and warehouse.
Rubble construction. Single segmental arch of impressive span (approximately 5 metres wide), recessed arch-ring with cut stone voussoirs. Low, slightly skewed parapets with cemented copings.
Listed as an impressively designed and well-preserved early C19 tramroad bridge, a prominent surviving structure of important industrial landscape of the Clydach Gorge.
Other nearby listed buildings