Milestone at Pont-gam
A Grade II Listed Building in Llanelly, Monmouthshire
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8065 / 51°48'23"N
Longitude: -3.1477 / 3°8'51"W
OS Eastings: 320963
OS Northings: 212602
OS Grid: SO209126
Mapcode National: GBR F0.X7V9
Mapcode Global: VH6CP.DV8K
Entry Name: Milestone at Pont-gam
Listing Date: 27 July 2000
Last Amended: 27 July 2000
Source ID: 23841
Building Class: Transport
Location: Situated on S side of by-road between Brynmawr and Blackrock. Approximately 2 km W of Blackrock.
Community: Llanelly (Llanelli)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Contemporary with the construction of the road, built 1812-13 by the Merthyr and Govilon Turnpike Trust.
Low milstone with rounded top set in low earth/stone bank. Inscription reads ‘Abergavenny 7’.
Reasons for Listing
Listed as an important survival of early road transport history.
Other nearby listed buildings
Located some 250m N of Gellyfelen, carrying public footpath over steep ravine of Clydach river.
Limekilns at Blackrock Limeworks, including Loading-ramp
Prominently located alongside lay-by on the N side of the main road between the settlements of Black
Revetment of former Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway at Darrenfelen
Located W of Darrenfelen on steep side of the Clydach Gorge, below Darrenfelen - Clydach by-road. P
Gellifelen Tramroad Bridge
Bridges carries public road between Darrenfelen and Gellifelen over very sharp bend above steep rive
Limekilns at Llanelly Limeworks
Former quarry located approximately 1 km NE of Darrenfelen, alongside by-road between Clydach and Da
Tramroad Bridge over Sychnant River
Bridge carries public footpath over river Sychnant, which follows line of tramroad incline between D
Clydach Wesleyan Chapel including Sunday School and railed forecourt
Located in centre of small roadside village, on S side of road, above A465 (Heads of the Valleys Roa
Three Arch Viaduct of former Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway
Located some 0.5km SW of Clydach village, over steep gorge off SE side of Darrenfelen-Clydach by-roa