This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6544 / 51°39'15"N
Longitude: -3.6477 / 3°38'51"W
OS Eastings: 286112
OS Northings: 196357
OS Grid: SS861963
Mapcode National: GBR H9.6WR3
Mapcode Global: VH5GQ.QPG2
Entry Name: Hebron Chapel
Listing Date: 31 July 2000
Last Amended: 31 July 2000
Source ID: 23866
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently sited on high ground at the N end of Cymmer overlooking Avon Street and the river Afan to the S.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Built-Up Area: Cymmer
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1903 (date on building) by R.A. Griffiths, architect, and Daniel Lloyd of Cymmer, contractor and chapel member, for £1700.
Classical style chapel with a 3-bay, coursed rock-faced front with ashlar surrounds to the openings, and slate roof. A central round-headed doorway is in a projecting gabled surround and has an overlight and double panelled doors. In the outer bays are 2-light windows under segmental hood moulds, both with stone tablets beneath the sills. Between the 2 tiers of windows is string course broken by the gable of the door surround. The upper tier has round-headed 2-light windows with key stones and hood moulds linked by a continuous impost band. The central window is wider and has a round tracery light. Beneath the sills are recessed panels. The gable is pedimented with a thin but deep cornice, above which is a band with the name and date of the chapel in relief. Within the pediment is a blind keyed oculus.
The scribed roughcast side walls are 4-window with 2 tiers of openings, sashes under square heads at the lower level and under segmental heads above. A lower and narrower gabled vestry is behind.
The vestibule is laid with coloured and encaustic tiles and a glass panel with diamond quarries is set opposite the doorway. The flanking gallery stairways have turned balusters. The main chapel has scribed plaster walls with panelled wainscot. The boarded ceiling is divided into 3 bays by moulded beams and cornice and retains 2 of originally 3 ceiling roses. The 3-sided raked gallery is carried on cast iron piers which are fluted below stylised Corinthian capitals. The gallery has a panelled front, in the centre of which is a clock by Spiegelhalter of Maesteg. The numbered pews have shaped, rounded ends. The set fawr has a panelled back. The panelled pulpit has steps R and L with turned balusters and moulded newels. An inserted organ behind the pulpit partly obscures an open pedimented reredos with paired fluted pilasters.
The vestry has a boarded and ribbed ceiling with central ceiling rose.
Listed for its prominent location in Cymmer and for the architectural interest of its front and interior.
Other nearby listed buildings