This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6084 / 52°36'30"N
Longitude: -4.0272 / 4°1'37"W
OS Eastings: 262829
OS Northings: 303110
OS Grid: SH628031
Mapcode National: GBR 8V.8M35
Mapcode Global: WH576.3PLP
Entry Name: Brynglas Railway Station
Listing Date: 15 August 2000
Last Amended: 19 September 2000
Source ID: 23889
Building Class: Transport
Location: The station is located in the hamlet of Pandy, SE of Bryn-Crug, by the level crossing and up from the ground frame signal box.
Locality: Bryn Crug
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The Talyllyn railway was brought about by the Talyllyn Railway Act, 28 & 29 Victoriae cap cccxv of 5 July 1865. Its primary purpose was to carry slate products from the productive Bryn Eglwys quarry to the Aberystwyth & Welsh Coast Railway at Tywyn. The first surveyor was James Swinton Spooner. A 2ft 3in (0.686m) gauge was adopted. In 1866 the railway expanded to carry passengers and farm products between Abergynolwyn and Tywyn. The railway continued in operation until 1950 despite the closure of the quarry in 1947. Closure and dismantling was held off due to the efforts of Henry Haydn Jones and it is thus notable as the first railway to be rescued from closure by voluntary effort.
The railway station at Bryn-glas is one of a number of simple passenger shelters; perhaps erected in the early 1870s, and the only one still in its original condition.
Built of sawn slate laid in lime mortar, with thick slate roof. A single stone-built rectangular building c6.75 x 3m externally, with a wide opening to the railway line, partially blocked with similar but smaller sized slate walling and provided with a small ticket window, which has subsequently been blocked. Barge boards and central vertical feature to the end gables renewed.
The building was originally a single room, open to the roof, later provided with a cross partition of sawn boarding with cover strips over the joints, and a single door to form a store separate from the waiting area. A timber bench runs along the rear wall of the waiting room, returning at the E end. A later fireplace of brick has been inserted against the rear wall of the ticket office. Tie beam truss.
Included as the only narrow gauge railway halt building surviving on this line from the mid C19 in near its original condition.
Other nearby listed buildings