History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grave of Mary Jones

A Grade II Listed Building in Bryncrug, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.61 / 52°36'35"N

Longitude: -4.0539 / 4°3'13"W

OS Eastings: 261024

OS Northings: 303334

OS Grid: SH610033

Mapcode National: GBR 8T.8LHS

Mapcode Global: WH575.PNSH

Entry Name: Grave of Mary Jones

Listing Date: 15 August 2000

Last Amended: 15 August 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 23899

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: In the graveyard behind Capel Bethlehem, in the centre of Bryn Crug.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Tywyn

Community: Bryn-crug

Community: Bryn-Crug

Locality: Bryn Crug

Built-Up Area: Bryncrug

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Llanegryn

History

The grave is of Mary Jones, well-known for her epic walk from Llanfihangel to Bala in 1800 when she was 16 to obtain a Welsh language Bible from the Revd Thomas Charles, the eminent Methodist preacher, an event leading eventually to the formation of the British and Commonwealth Bible Society.

Exterior

The headstone is in granite, by R R Davies of Tywyn, with a gabled head. It has a rope margin and is engraved with a floral band at the head, and a long inscription in both Welsh and English to the memory of Mary Jones, recording her epic walk in 1800 to acquire a personal copy of the Bible. It is set on an inscribed plinth stone, recording that it was set up by the Merionethshire Sunday Schools members, probably c1920. It is surrounded by cast iron railings with knob and fleur terminals enclosing a further headstone by R O set flat, to Mary, widow of Thomas Lewis, a weaver of Bryn Crug, d.1864.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a memorial to a young woman whose single pious act has stood as a landmark in the history of Non-conformity in Wales.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Mile Marker
    Set into the roadside wall, c30m S of the bridge over the Nant-Rhyd-yr-Onen, in the centre of the village.
  • II Water lift pump by Pont Fathew
    The pump stands in a small landscaped area of recent origin, on the N bridge head, in the centre of the village.
  • II ,6,Ty'n-y-winllan,Bryn Crug,Tywyn,,LL36 9PF
    Ty'n-y-winllan is a row of 6 terrace cottages on the S side of the road leaving Bryn Crug for Llanegryn. No 6 is at the W end, directly on to the road.
  • II Water lift pump on road to Penowern
    The pump stands on the corner of the road to Penowern farm, and Ffordd-y-felin.
  • II Bronwylfa
    The house stands at the right-angled bend in the road in Pen Parc, the S end of Bryn Crug.
  • II Water lift pump at Pen Parc
    Pen Parc is at the S end of Bryn Crug village. The pump stands in a purposely formed stone-built recess in the retaining bank of the road to Rhyd-yr-onen.
  • II Lofted farm building at Glan-y-morfa
    Glan-y-morfa stands beside the road from Bryn Crug to Llanfihangel. The granary building runs parallel and close to the road, immediately S of the outbuilding.
  • II Geufron
    Geufron farm is perched on the S facing slope of Foel Wyllt, NE of Bryn Crug village, and is reached by a farm road off the B4405.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.