This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5115 / 51°30'41"N
Longitude: -3.3975 / 3°23'50"W
OS Eastings: 303116
OS Northings: 180102
OS Grid: ST031801
Mapcode National: GBR HN.J039
Mapcode Global: VH6F3.287M
Entry Name: Bench on W side of sunken garden at Talygarn
Listing Date: 15 August 2000
Last Amended: 15 August 2000
Source ID: 23929
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the N side of the house.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The sunken garden N of the house was created in 1888 and was subsequently enlarged, taking its present form with balustrade and seats, by 1899.
Talygarn was purchased by G T Clark, the prominent industrialist and antiquary, in 1865. The present house retains the core of an earlier house and was built mainly 1879-82 with further important additions in 1892-4 and the early C20. The gardens and park were laid out from 1877 with formal gardens to the S, W and N of the house, and with informal woodland grounds centred on a lake to the S of the house.
A semi-circular freestone seat with continuous bench on stone brackets, and a stone back with a moulded coping.
Listed for group value with Talygarn and other associated listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings