This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5116 / 51°30'41"N
Longitude: -3.4019 / 3°24'6"W
OS Eastings: 302808
OS Northings: 180118
OS Grid: ST028801
Mapcode National: GBR HM.HYW2
Mapcode Global: VH6F2.Z8DK
Entry Name: Gateway and gate to W boundary at Talygarn
Listing Date: 15 August 2000
Last Amended: 15 August 2000
Source ID: 23932
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Approximately 400m W of the house, set back from Cowbridge Road and on the N side of Plas-y-Coed.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Built-Up Area: Brynsadler
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Erected in the last quarter of the C19. Talygarn was purchased by G T Clark, the prominent industrialist and antiquary, in 1865. The present house retains the core of an earlier house and was built mainly 1879-82 with further important additions in 1892-4 and the early C20. The gardens and park were laid out from 1877 with formal gardens to the S, W and N of the house, and with informal woodland grounds centred on a lake to the S of the house. Talygarn was sold in 1922 by the grandson of G T Clark and the gateway became separate from the remainder of the house and gardens as part of the garden of Plas-y-Coed.
A freestone gateway, set back from the road, has a round-headed arch with stressed jambs and voussoirs, panelled spandrels, and a moulded saddleback coping crowned by 3 ball finials. The single round-headed iron gate, with scrollwork to the lock rail, is set within a similar ironwork frame. Snecked stone flanking walls curve outwards and downwards with freestone coping and terminate in square rock-faced piers with moulded caps.
Listed mainly for group value with Talygarn and other associated listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings