This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5436 / 51°32'37"N
Longitude: -3.3797 / 3°22'47"W
OS Eastings: 304415
OS Northings: 183651
OS Grid: ST044836
Mapcode National: GBR HN.FYCG
Mapcode Global: VH6DX.CGMH
Entry Name: The Malthouse
Listing Date: 18 August 2000
Last Amended: 18 August 2000
Source ID: 23946
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Fronting the road and facing E on the NW edge of the village.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Built-Up Area: Llantrisant
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Probably late C18 or early C19. The Malthouse is mentioned in a report on corn tolls in 1817. It is shown on the Llantrisant tithe map of 1841 in the same form as today. The adjoining farmhouse was remodelled in the later C19 and a wing was added.
Long 3-storey range of rubble stone under a slate roof. Central doorway with segmental stone head of narrow voussoirs containing a boarded door. Boarded window to R with similar stone head. Between these is a ventilation strip. Wider opening to L with flat concrete lintel and double planked doors. To L of centre in the middle storey is a planked door with timber lintel under a segmental head of voussoirs. To the R, aligned with the ground floor opening, is a small boarded window with almost flat head of voussoirs. In the upper storey, immediately below the eaves, are 3 small boarded openings of irregular size and shape with stone sills.
In the N gable end is a doorway offset to the L into the middle storey. It has a planked door under a segmental head of stone voussoirs and is approached by wide stone steps. To the R is a large lean-to which projects to the rear. It has a small concrete lean-to to the R and a blocked doorway into the E side at a high level. The rear is only 2-storey as the ground rises, with a catslide roof. Wide full-height opening to L and small window to centre. Added shed at right angles to R, open-fronted and facing N.
To the L of the malthouse is an adjoining stone farmhouse. It is 2-storey and 3-window with a 2-window range at right angles and late C20 openings.
Partial access to interior. The L bay to the ground floor is now a garage. The middle storey, entered from the rear, has a wood planked floor and cast iron I-section ceiling beams which carry a flagstone floor to the attic storey. The attic is said to retain some cast iron ventilation tiles and flues.
Listed as a rare agricultural building type, the facade imparting considerable character to the townscape setting.
Other nearby listed buildings