This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4071 / 52°24'25"N
Longitude: -4.0609 / 4°3'39"W
OS Eastings: 259907
OS Northings: 280787
OS Grid: SN599807
Mapcode National: GBR 8S.PJSK
Mapcode Global: VH4FC.KRJL
Entry Name: Capel Saron including vestry, forecourt railings and gates
Listing Date: 29 September 2000
Last Amended: 25 October 2002
Source ID: 24022
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in the centre of Llanbadarn Fawr, on the E side of the A4120 some 150m S of its junction with the A44.
Community: Llanbadarn Fawr
Community: Llanbadarn Fawr
Built-Up Area: Aberystwyth
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1842-3, remodelled in 1879. The broad facade suggests a long-wall front altered to gable front.
Chapel, unpainted render with some stucco dressings, slate roof and bracketed verges to broad gable front. Two centre windows and 2 outer doors, all arched, and big lunette plaque in gable, with 'Methodistiaid Calfinaidd 1843 Saron' in later C19 lettering. Windows are large, 20-pane, with intersecting glazing bars in heads and door fanlights match. All have moulded stucco arched hoods, those to windows linked to an impost band, those to doors on small console brackets. Plain flush doors.
Ground falls away to rear and there is a basement vestry, rubble stone N side wall has 3 later C19 yellow brick arched windows, basement door to right, added outbuilding left. Rendered plain rear wall with 2 arched windows and louvred gable opening. Rendered S side wall has 3 similar arched windows, basement sash window to left.
A late C19 vestry comes forward to right, with 2-window range in end gable to street and red brick end stack. Attached forecourt walls, low roughcast walls with slate coping and low iron railings. Two plain gatepiers and double iron gates. Cast iron spearhead rails and urn capped stanchions. Gates have matching dog-bars.
Plain large interior with numbered pitch pine pews in 3 blocks slightly raked to rear. Shaped bench ends, front pew with 2 ornate scrolled rails dividing. Set fawr between entrance lobbies has turned balustrades over panelling, the balustrades terminated at heavy turned newels with ball finials. Curved angles. Platform has similar newels to steps up each side and front each side of pulpit. This has panel front between piers with heavy brackets supporting bookrest, upper horizontal panel has 3 roundels. All panels have chamfered and stopped surrounds. Plain ceiling with cornice and 3 small roses
Vestry beneath chapel to rear with plain iron pillars supporting chapel floor.
Included mainly for the architectural interest of the chapel front of the 1840s with small-paned glazing.
Other nearby listed buildings