This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3749 / 52°22'29"N
Longitude: -3.8574 / 3°51'26"W
OS Eastings: 273653
OS Northings: 276830
OS Grid: SN736768
Mapcode National: GBR 92.RDX1
Mapcode Global: VH4FP.3K2R
Entry Name: Capel Mynach and chapel house attached to left
Listing Date: 29 September 2000
Last Amended: 16 March 2005
Source ID: 24025
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated near the centre of Pontarfynach, some 150m S of the junction of the A4120 and the B4343 and on the W side of the latter.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1857-8.
Chapel, roughcast with slate roof. Gable front has 2 long triangular-headed small-paned windows and centre door with similar head. All have diagonally-intersected bars in heads. Framed boarded double doors. Triangular headed centre plaque: 'Capel Mynach Trefnyddion Calfinaidd Adeiladwyd yn y flwyddyn 1858'. Sides have 2 similar windows, left side facing road, with chapel house attached, set back, to left. Two-storey, two-window range of 12-pane sashes and door with overlight. Upper windows and door replaced in C20. Red brick left end stack.
Simple interior with painted grained numbered box pews, slightly raked up to rear with ramped top rails. Three blocks originally but those to front of right side removed, and 2 inward facing blocks each side of set fawr, but those to right also removed. Plain panelled backs, moulded surrounds to door panels. Similar panelling to set fawr enclosure which projects with doors at canted angles. Simple platform with turned balusters around and canted projecting front to pulpit with contrasted painted graining. Steps up to front left, with platform balusters hinged as gate at top. Painted arch behind (like that at Siloa Independent Chapel, Cwmerfyn). Centre rear square lobby with door each side and front small-paned window with coloured glass margins. Plaster ceiling with moulded cornice and 4 plain roundels.
Included as a well-preserved mid C19 chapel with unusual triangular-headed windows, and with interior painted grained woodwork.
Other nearby listed buildings