This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6856 / 51°41'7"N
Longitude: -2.6961 / 2°41'46"W
OS Eastings: 351970
OS Northings: 198762
OS Grid: ST519987
Mapcode National: GBR JL.52HF
Mapcode Global: VH87F.7W0Q
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 September 2000
Last Amended: 29 September 2000
Source ID: 24039
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: About 1800m south west of Tintern Abbey in a field to the east of the St Arvans road.
Community: Tintern (Tyndyrn)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A medieval church which appears to have Norman origins and has some C14 windows, but it was restored in the Victorian period, perhaps in c1880, and has since remained largely unchanged. It was annexed to St Arvans parish in 1888, and this date could well be related to the Victorian restoration. In 1981 St Arvans and Pentery parish was combined with Devauden, Itton, amd Kilgwrrwg parishes.
The church is constructed of mainly local coarse-grained red sandstone with some fine-grained limestone. The early windows and the corners of the building have sandstone dressings and coarse sandy limestone was used for the Victorian openings. The roof is Welsh slate with concrete intelocking tiles to the porch. The building consists of nave with integral chancel, the two differentiated only by the altar rail with step, west bellcote and west porch. The west gable has a projecting timber porch added in the Victorian restoration which looks to be c1880. The roof tiling must date with the white brick infill to the sides of the porch and is late C20. The door is Victorian. Coped gable with Victorian gabled bellcote and a single bell apparently dated 1734. The south wall has a single light and a 2-light window both with cusped heads. The first appears to be inserted into the medieval doorway and the second seems C16 in origin. The east gable has a 2-light one and the north wall another, these are Victorian but in C14 character. The north wall of the chancel has a single light round headed window of apparently Norman ie. C12 or C13 date.
The church is mostly plastered and ceiled, but the plaster has recently been removed from the south wall and the east wall is pine panelled. The position of the medieval windows suggests that the floor level was raised at some time. The furnishings are all Victorian and very plain with removable benches. The roof has three queen strut trusses with two tiers of staggered purlins. The church is lit by oil and gas light.
Included as a small medieval church restored in the late C19, which survives at the remote, extremely attractive, and otherwise deserted, site of a medieval village.
Other nearby listed buildings