This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7029 / 51°42'10"N
Longitude: -2.671 / 2°40'15"W
OS Eastings: 353723
OS Northings: 200675
OS Grid: SO537006
Mapcode National: GBR JM.3W9V
Mapcode Global: VH87F.NG9D
Entry Name: Tintern Station
Listing Date: 29 September 2000
Last Amended: 29 September 2000
Source ID: 24041
Building Class: Transport
Location: On a meadow at a loop of the river Wye to N of Tintern Abbey.
Community: Tintern (Tyndyrn)
Locality: Tintern Parva
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The station was built in 1876 by the Monmouth and Wye Valley Railway and was taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1908. The engineers of the line were S H Yockney and Son of Westminster and the contractors were Messrs Reed Bros of London. It was a single track line with Tintern station as one of the passing places. The station was closed in 1959 and is now a visitor centre belonging to Monmouthshire County Council.
The station is built of roughly coursed, squared rock-faced red sandstone rubble with a Welsh slate roof. Rectangular single storey single depth range. The platform elevation has four windows and two doors, W:D:W:D:W:W. The doors are double with six sunk panels and with rectangular lights with two panes over. The windows are 3 3 casements with two fixed panes above. Fretted eaves with projecting hood on brackets over the Booking Office door. Roof with plain bargeboards to the gables, which have windows to the conveniences at either end. The yard front has a small hood to the entrance door, and three windows as before. Two red brick ridge stacks with terracotta pots.
The Booking Office, Waiting Room and other rooms are in largely unaltered condition.
Included as a good and unaltered mid Victorian rural station which retains a varied group of buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings