This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6203 / 51°37'13"N
Longitude: -2.6947 / 2°41'40"W
OS Eastings: 352003
OS Northings: 191503
OS Grid: ST520915
Mapcode National: GBR JL.92X5
Mapcode Global: VH87T.7JSR
Entry Name: The Old School
Listing Date: 10 October 2000
Last Amended: 10 October 2000
Source ID: 24071
Building Class: Education
Location: In the centre of Mathern new village about 600m north of the Church of St Tewdric.
Community: Mathern (Matharn)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A village school built in about 1865 and probably designed by the Llandaff diocesan architects, John Prichard and John Pollard Seddon. The wing at the north end may be an addition, but, if so, it must be very soon after the main build.
Small village school built of thin coursed squared grey sandstone rubble with limestone and Bath stone dressings, Welsh slate roof. T-shaped building with the foot formed by the rear wing, The right hand (north) arm may be an addition, see below and History. Single storey with gable central to the street. From the left, a 2-light window with Caernarvon heads; a tall stack characteristic of Prichard/Seddon designs; in the gable a 3-lancet-light window with stepped lights; a single light window as before; a doorway with blocked architrave and plank door; a 2-light window as before. The left hand gable is plain with paired lancets. The right hand gable is hipped, suggesting a possible addition, with a 2-light window as before. Rear elevation not seen.
Interior not seen at time of resurvey.
Included as a well-preserved Diocesan school of the 1860s which has group value with the Memorial Homes opposite and the adjacent telephone box.
Other nearby listed buildings