This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6956 / 51°41'44"N
Longitude: -2.8337 / 2°50'1"W
OS Eastings: 342472
OS Northings: 199982
OS Grid: ST424999
Mapcode National: GBR JD.49XG
Mapcode Global: VH79W.TMSZ
Entry Name: Salem Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 12 October 2000
Last Amended: 12 October 2000
Source ID: 24120
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at SW end of village, up lane off road to Coed Cwnwr.
Community: Llangwm (Llan-gwm)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Baptist chapel of 1840; there had been an older chapel, Peniel, on Golden Hill, of 1802 (now ruined) of which this was a branch.
Chapel, cement render with slate roof, and end chimney. Gable entry chapel with large full-width gabled addition on front. Pointed openings, 3 windows with later C19 Y-tracery each side wall, E gable has similar window each side, pointed blank window in gable, all above broad porch addition. This has slightly advanced centre with datestone 1840, over small pointed blank recess, over tall pointed door. Set-back bays each side have single tall pointed blank recess. Rear W lean-to vestry with pointed door under blank pointed recess in N end wall. Applied sandstone plinth around chapel and porch.
Plain whitewashed interior with gallery at entrance end. Late C19 or early C20 pews, minimal pulpit with plain balustraded rail around. Gallery is supported on 2 square fluted timber piers and plain front with moulded top rail and simple moulded cornice below, above piers. Raked gallery floor with 2 rows of old panelled pews, and 3 rows of benches. Stick balusters to single flight gallery stairs and one turned bulbous newel. Double doors into porch, panelled dado each side and on part of N wall.
Included as an early gable-entry chapel with original gallery.
Other nearby listed buildings