This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9143 / 51°54'51"N
Longitude: -2.8667 / 2°52'0"W
OS Eastings: 340483
OS Northings: 224331
OS Grid: SO404243
Mapcode National: GBR FC.PKKH
Mapcode Global: VH78X.84CT
Entry Name: Gatepiers to St Nicholas's Churchyard
Listing Date: 19 October 2000
Last Amended: 19 October 2000
Source ID: 24127
Location: At the boundary of a gently sloping churchyard, some 120m N of the transept of the Church of St Nicholas.
Community: Grosmont (Y Grysmwnt)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Pair of stone gatepiers, probably early C19. At the time of the restoration of 1888, the ball finials were removed on the instructions of the Rector of Grosmont, Charles Wesley, but the Monmouth Beacon records that "Mr Rolls asked for them to be put back since some old residents might miss them."
Square gatepiers, some 2m high. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Each gatepier has a moulded cap and is surmounted by a ball finial supported on a pyramid base. E gatepier carries inscribed tablets which record the donation of the iron church gates in memory of Andrew William Waring Pope (d.1959) and his wife Nira Pope (d.1981). C20 ornamental wrought iron gates.
Included for their important group value with the Church of St Nicholas and the nearby churchyard cross.
Other nearby listed buildings