This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9145 / 51°54'52"N
Longitude: -2.8679 / 2°52'4"W
OS Eastings: 340402
OS Northings: 224352
OS Grid: SO404243
Mapcode National: GBR FC.PK8N
Mapcode Global: VH78X.74QP
Entry Name: Stable at Town Farm
Listing Date: 19 October 2000
Last Amended: 19 October 2000
Source ID: 24131
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Some 50m NW of the Church of St Nicholas in the centre of Grosmont, on N side of the minor road leading to Great Tresenny. The stable block lies on the opposite side of the road to Town farmhouse.
Community: Grosmont (Y Grysmwnt)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A lofted stable block of 1671, contemporary with farmhouse at Town Farm (1673). The former cartshed or coach house at N end, was converted into a cow byre probably in C19.
C17 stable block. Thinly coursed rubble stone, with C20 corrugated metal roof. E front faces roadway, with stable to left and cartshed to right. Two and a half storey range. E front, first floor (left) has loft with boarded double-doors. Ground floor stable has chamfered doorway with flat head inscribed '1671' and C17 Plank and batten door with 'trident' strap hinges. To right, is a C17 tall wooden 7-light window with diamond mullions. N end (to right) has small boarded loft door, and broad ground floor carriage entry with C20 boarded door. S gable has blocked window openings in gable head and on first floor, and ground-floor segmental arched window with stone voussoirs and keystone (re-used window inserted into partly blocked opening).
Stable ceiling beam is chamfered. Cartshed has raking queen strut roof truss. (Stable loft not accessible at time of resurvey).
Listed for its special interest as a well-preserved stable dated 1671. Group value with the farmhouse at Town Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings