This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9134 / 51°54'48"N
Longitude: -2.9337 / 2°56'1"W
OS Eastings: 335871
OS Northings: 224281
OS Grid: SO358242
Mapcode National: GBR F9.PLXT
Mapcode Global: VH78W.35FK
Entry Name: Great Goytre Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 October 2000
Last Amended: 19 October 2000
Source ID: 24163
Location: Situated on flat land by River Monnow at the end of a farm track which runs NW off the A465, approximately 5 km W of Grosmont.
Community: Grosmont (Y Grysmwnt)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
The oldest part of the building is the rear wing, dating from early C17. This may once have formed a separate two or possibly three unit farmhouse. In the early C18 a large two-and-a-half storey farmhouse was added at right angles, and the front of the house turned to face the river. Great Goytre was formerly the home of the Gabb family. John Gabb was Sheriff of Monmouthshire in 1683, and married the daughter of Henry Baker of Abergavenny, the steward of Lord Abergavenny. A photograph of Great Goytre in Bradney's 'History of Monmouthshire' shows the fenestration in 1907 consisted of C18 3-light mullion and transom windows.
Large early C18 farmhouse. Rubble stone. C20 slate roof, end-stacks are C20 on broad stone bases. Symmetrical, two-and-a-half storey front. Attic has three gabled dormers that spring at eaves level, C18 3-light 3 3 3 pane casement windows, the middle window has 3 fixed lights with overlapping panes. First floor has three C20 3-light transom windows. Window-heads are segmentally arched with stone voussoirs; thin stone sills. Ground-floor has central entrance doorway with rectangular 5-pane overlight and gabled canopy; late C17 6-panel door, top two panels fielded, bottom four flush. On either side are similar C20 3-light transoms. C17 wing (to rear) is two storey with end-stack. NE elevation, first floor has two C20 windows in older openings with timber lintels; ground floor (left) has similar window and (to right) C17 4-light sunk chamfer mullion window, left two lights retain wooden stanchions. Gable of C17 wing has blocked window openings either side of a centre stack on first floor and another blocked opening on ground floor (left).
C18 house has two unit plan with centre staircase. Ground floor has 6-panel doors, first floor 2-panel doors and attic boarded doors. Quarter turn stair with winders has square newels with chamfered cap and rectangular section balusters. Ovolo moulded ceiling beam on first floor landing. 5-bay attic ceiled at collar. Centre trusses do not have tie beams. Instead the feet of the principal rafters are carried on short spurs which are connected to chamfered wall posts which run down the inner wall and are morticed into the floor beams below. C17 wing has stone flagged floors, dairy with stone shelves, plaster ceiling with moulded cornice on first floor and evidence of a former fireplace stair at the gable.
Substantial C17-C18 gentry house, with early recorded history, which retains high-quality original details including unusual roof construction.
Other nearby listed buildings