This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9198 / 51°55'11"N
Longitude: -2.8632 / 2°51'47"W
OS Eastings: 340729
OS Northings: 224936
OS Grid: SO407249
Mapcode National: GBR FD.P6D8
Mapcode Global: VH78X.B06M
Entry Name: The Lawns
Listing Date: 19 October 2000
Last Amended: 19 October 2000
Source ID: 24170
Location: Approximately 500m NE of Grosmont, at the end of a farm road which runs SE off the minor road from Grosmont to Kentchurch.
Community: Grosmont (Y Grysmwnt)
Locality: Cupid's Hill
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Dated house of 1685, substantially remodelled in the C19. The Duke of Beaufort leased the Lawns to Charles Walwyn on March 1684, who built the original late C17 house soon afterwards. In the C19 the house was given a new symmetrical front with sash and bay windows.
Substantial three-and-a-half storey farmhouse. Rubble stone, some ashlar dressings, slate roof with gable stacks. SE front is symmetrical with large projecting centre gable. Gable roof springs above eaves of main house. Gable head has semi-circular arched window with radial fanlight; second floor two 12-pane horned sash windows in segmental arched openings with stone voussoirs and stone sills; first floor two similar, slightly taller, 12-pane windows; and ground floor a 6-panel door flanked by 12-pane sashes. Each side of gable, second and first floors of flanking walls have similar 12-pane sashes and on ground floor, canted bay windows with 8 12 8 pane sashes. Inset into SW gable wall, ground level is dated stone lintel, inscribed:
16 C V 85
which also carries centre decorative emblem of Walwyn family. To left of gable is SW back wing which has two storey canted bay window with C19 2 4 2 pane horned sashes on each floor. NE wing, ground floor has blocked entrance doorway with cambered stone voussoirs and inserted 2-pane fixed light. To right is tall late C17 mullion and transom window and big projecting stack at gable-end.
Not available for inspection at time of resurvey.
Substantial and well-preserved house of 1685, attractively remodelled in mid-C19.
Other nearby listed buildings