This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8758 / 51°52'32"N
Longitude: -2.91 / 2°54'35"W
OS Eastings: 337450
OS Northings: 220087
OS Grid: SO374200
Mapcode National: GBR FB.S0S4
Mapcode Global: VH792.H3YT
Entry Name: The Great House
Listing Date: 19 October 2000
Last Amended: 19 October 2000
Source ID: 24184
Location: Approximately 1 km E of Llangattock Lingoed, at the end of a short farm track that runs N off the minor road from Llangattock Lingoed to the Bont.
Community: Grosmont (Y Grysmwnt)
Locality: Llangattock Lingoed
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Mid C17 four unit plan. Fox and Raglan date the house to 1650-60. It was probably built by Edward Morgan who died in 1657. Over the years, the house has been considerably altered. It formerly had a third storey and also a stair wing at the back. Fox and Raglan record that the hall also had ornate mullion windows with unusual ogee and ovolo moulded frames. Bradney mentions that the post and panel partition was taken to nearby Glen Trothy. In spite of all these changes, the Great House still retains a strong C17 character and a number of well-preserved features.
Substantial, two storey, mid-C17 farmhouse. Rubble stone, partly rendered; slate roof with brick end-stacks, stone plinth. S front is irregular with entrance doorway off-centre (to right) and the facade is broken by two tall shallow buttresses. First floor (l to r) has C20 3-light transom, two C20 8 8 pane casements, and another 8 8 casement. Ground floor has a corresponding C20 3-light transom, broad C20 window to hall, gabled C20 porch, and a 8 8 casement. Tudor-arched entrance doorway with elaborate ogee and ovolo moulding. E gable, on first and ground floor are C20 6 6 6 pane casements. E wall of kitchen wing (to right) has C20 4 4 4 pane windows on first and ground floors. N gable of kitchen wing has flight of stone steps up to a cambered arched doorway with roll moulded surround. On ground-floor (left) is large Tudor arched doorway with chamfered frame, and studded door with big 'trident' strap hinges. Doorway to former wash-house is also Tudor arched with roll moulded frame, and has plank door with applied fillets and similar trident hinges.
Layout is L-plan. Four ground-floor rooms: parlour at uphill end (now kitchen), hall in centre, service room at downhill end, and former kitchen in wing to rear. Parlour has C17 ceiling beams with hollow and roll moulding and runout stops. Fine C17 parlour fireplace has Tudor arched oak lintel with panelled spandrels; above is ornamental frieze of carved arcaded ornament; with diamond patterned stonework to back wall of hearth. Hall has hollow and roll moulded ceiling beams; oak fireplace lintel with flat head is enriched with similar arcaded ornament and has moulded mantelshelf. Service room and rear kitchen both have chamfered ceiling beams with scroll stops. Doorway between two rooms is Tudor arched, with roll moulded door-frame and plank and batten door with big fleur de lys strap hinges. Kitchen has broad fireplace opening with chamfered Tudor arched lintel. On first floor, ceiling beams have similar hollow and roll moulding. In bed chamber above parlour is a tall C17 panelled screen with 6-panel door. Roof interior not available at time of resurvey.
Substantial mid C17 farmhouse which, despite some C20 alterations, retains fine interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings